There are two ways to think about remodeling projects that will boost your home’s value; you can get one or two major remodels done or opt for a bunch of small fixes. Depending on your budget and your timetable, one approach may be better for you than the other.
For instance, the bathroom or kitchen, maybe your dream when you first moved into your home was to remodel it. It never happened. But now that you are thinking about selling your home, you feel that a prospective buyer would really appreciate a newly remodeled bathroom or kitchen. Is that the remodeling project that you should do before selling?
On the other hand, you want to spend as little as possible to squeeze as much value out of your home. Maybe you would prefer to just spruce up the kitchen cabinets or repaint the house. Whichever camp you fall into here are some remodeling project ideas that usually add at least a few thousand dollars to the value of your home:
- Repaint the house
- Landscape the yard
- Update handles/knobs on kitchen cabinets
- Clear the clutter and remove personal items
- Replace carpeting with tile or lamenated flooring
- Repave/refinish the driveway
- Add a cool design element (e.g. sliding barn doors, apply stone veneer to an accent wall, etc.)